Article Resources >
Austrian School Resources
Those who are new to the School should begin with Callahan's
Economics for Real People, and subsequently Mises'
Human Action, rsp.
or Rothbard's Man, Economy and State.
See also the
A good idea is to just type 'Austrian Economics' in the Amazon search engine. This will bring up many of the most advanced books on the topic, such as the 'Advances in Austrian Economics' series. A good idea before buying books is to check reviews on Mises.org, especially Gordon's.
- Murray N. Rothbard. 1992. The Present State of Austrian Economics. This paper was delivered at the Tenth Anniversary Scholars’ Conference of the Ludwig von Mises Institute, October 9, 1992. Working Paper from the Ludwig von Mises Institute, November 1992. Reprinted in The Logic of Action One Method, Money, and the Austrian School. Glos, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd., 1997, pp. 111-172. Reprinted in Journal des Economistes et des Etudes Humaines, Vol. 6 No. 1 (March 1995), pp. 43-89.] mises.org/etexts/presentstate.pdf
Austrians, and History
- Mises Institute. N0 - Economic History: General. Linklist.
- Mises Institute. N1 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Growth and Fluctuations . Linklist.
- Mises Institute. N2 - Financial Markets and Institutions. Linklist.
- Mises Institute. N3 - Labor and Consumers, Demography, Education, Income. Linklist.
- Mises Institute. N4 - Government, War, Law, and Regulation . Linklist.
- Mises Institute. N5 - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment, and Extractive Industries. Linklist.
- Mises Institute. N7 - Transport, International and Domestic Trade, Energy, and Other Services. Linklist.
- Mises Institute. N8 - Micro-Business History . Linklist.
- Mises Institute. N9 - Regional and Urban History. Linklist.
- Robert Grözinger. Volkswirtschaftslehre: Die Österreichische Schule der ökonomie. (Economy)
- Hoppe, Hans-Herman, and Joseph T. Salerno. 1999. “Friedrich von Wieser und die moderne Österreichische Schule der Nationalökonomie.” Introduction to Friedrich von Wieser, Über den Ursprung und die Hauptgesetze des wirtschaftlichen Werthes. Düsseldorf: Verlag Handel und Wirtschaft.
- Mario Rizzo. Praxeology and Econometrics: A Critique of Positivist Economics. In Louis M. Spadaro, ed., New Directions in Austrian Economics. Kansas City, Kans.: Sheed Andrews and McMeel, 1978.
- Walter Block. On Robert Nozick's 'On Austrian Methodology. Inquiry 23 (1980).
- Hans-Hermann Hoppe. Kritik der kausalwissenschaftlichen Sozialforschung. Untersuchungen zur Grundlegung von Soziologie und Ökonomie. Opladen: Westdeutscher Verlag, 1983.
- _______. Is Research Based on Causal Scientific Principles Possible in the Social Sciences? Ratio 25, no. 1 (1983).
- _______. In defence of extreme rationalism: Thoughts on Donald McCloskey’s The Rhetoric of Economics. The Review of Austrian Economics 3 (1989): 179-214. See also blog entry Hans-Hermann Hoppe getting Popper wrong.
- _______. In Defense of Extreme Rationalism: Thoughts on Donald Mccloskey's the Rhetoric of Economics. Review of Austrian Economics 3 (1989): 179-214.
- _______. A Theory of Socialism and Capitalism. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1989.
- _______. On Praxeology and the Praxeological Foundations of Epistemology and Ethics. In Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr., ed., The Meaning of Ludwig von Mises. Auburn, Ala.: Ludwig von Mises Institute, 1989.
- _______. The Economics and Ethics of Private Property. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1993.
- _______. Economic Science and the Austrian Method. 1995, reprinted 2007. (audio) (youtube audio). See also the Mises Univesity videos by Hoppe. Reviewed by Steven Yates. Hans-Hermann Hoppe's Austrian Philosophy: Review of Economic Science and the Austrian Method. Reason Papers 21 (1996): 91-6.
- _______. On Certainty and Uncertainty, or: How Rational Can Our Expectations Be? The Review of Austrian Economics 10 (1997): 49–78.
- Mises University Media Archives .
- Keizer, Austrian Economics in Debate.
- Endres, Neoclassical Microeconomic Theory: The Founding Austrian Version.
- Gerken, The Constitution of Liberty in an Open Economy: An Austrian Theory of Foreign Trade.
- Backhaus, Modern Applications of Austrian Thought. (important for those seriously interested in Austrianism)
- Foss, Entrepreneurship and the Firm: Austrian Perspectives on Economic Organization.
- _______. The Theory of the Firm and its Critics.
- _______. The Theory of the Firm - the Austrians as precursors and critics of contemporary theory.
- Holcombe, Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth. Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics 12.3 (Fall 2009).
- Yeager, Are Markets Like Language?. Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics 3.2 (Summer 2000).
- Salerno, The Place of Human Action In The Development of Modern Economic Thought. Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics 2.1 (Spring 1999).
- _______. The Entrepreneur: Real and Imagined.
- Schumpeter, The Theory of Economic Development: An Inquiry into profits, capital, credit, interest and the business cycle.
- Garrison, Time and Money.
- _______. In Defense of the Misesian Theory of Interest. JLS 3.2.
- Wicksell, Value, Capital and Rent.
- Fetter, Capital, Interest and Rent.
- Rothbard, Production: The Rate of Interest and its Determination.
- Murphy, The Abstinence Theory of Interest.
- _______. The Reswitching Question.
- _______. Some Problems with the Pure Time Preference Theory of Interest.
- Stephan, An Introduction into Capital Theory: A neo-Austrian perspective.
- Skousen, The Structure of Production.
- Blumen, Hayek on the Paradox of Saving.
- Mark Skousen, Which Drives the Economy: Consumer Spending or Saving/Investment?.
Money and Banking, Business Cycles
- Anderson, Terry L. and Donald R. Leal. Free Market Environmentalism (San Francisco: Pacific Research Institute for Public Policy and Westview Press, 1991, Palgrave Macmillan; Revised edition 2001).
- Block, Walter. Environmentalism and Economic Freedom: The Case for Private Property Rights. Journal of Business Ethics 17: 1887–1899, 1998. © 1998 Kluwer Academic Publishers. Printed in the Netherlands. .
- Cordato, Roy E. An Austrian Theory of Environmental Economics. Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics 7.1 (Spring 2004): 3-36., Mises Daily 3/9/2005 http://mises.org/story/1760
- Jay Lehr, ed., Rational Readings on Environmental Concerns. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1992.
Health, Education, and Welfare
Labor and Demographic Economics
- Hans-Hermann Hoppe. The Myth of National Defense: Essays on the Theory and History of Securty Production.
- Hans-Hermann Hoppe Introduction of The Myth of National Defense.
- Luigi Marco Bassani and Carlo Lottieri. The Problem of Security; Historicity of the State and European Realism. Chap. in The Myth of National Defense. (State-Making and War-Making)
- Murray N. Rothbard. War, Peace, and the State. Chap. in The Myth of National Defense. (State-Making and War-Making)
- Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn. Monarchy and War. Chap. in The Myth of National Defense. (Government Forms, War, and Strategy)
- Bertrand Lemennicier. Nuclear Weapons: Proliferation or Monopoly?. Chap. in The Myth of National Defense. (Government Forms, War, and Strategy)
- Gerard Radnitzky. Is Democracy More Peaceful than Other Forms of Government?. Chap. in The Myth of National Defense. (Government Forms, War, and Strategy)
- Joseph R. Stromberg. Mercenaries, Guerrillas, Militias, and the Defense of Minimal States and Free Societies. Chap. in The Myth of National Defense. (Private Alternatives to State Defense and Warfare)
- Larry J. Sechrest. Privateering and National Defense: Naval Warfare for Private Profit. Chap. in The Myth of National Defense. (Private Alternatives to State Defense and Warfare)
- Jeffrey Rogers Hummel. The Will to be Free: The Role of Ideology in National Defense. Chap. in The Myth of National Defense. (Private Alternatives to State Defense and Warfare)
- Walter Block. National Defense and the Theory of Externalities, Public Goods, and Clubs. Chap. in The Myth of National Defense. (Private Security Production: Practical Applications)
- Hans-Hermann Hoppe. Government and the Private Production of Defense. Chap. in The Myth of National Defense. (Private Security Production: Practical Applications)
- Jörg Guido Hlsmann. Secession and the Production of Defense. Chap. in The Myth of National Defense. (Private Security Production: Practical Applications)
Economic calculation, socialism and interventionism
- Bolson, The Myth of the Robber Barons.
- Liebowitz, Winners, Losers and Microsoft.
- Norberg, In Defense of Global Capitalism.
- Birner, Markets, Information and Communication: Austrian Perspectives on the Internet Economy.
- Foss, Coase vs Hayek: Economic Organization and the Knowledge Economy.
- _______. Misesian Ownership and Coasian Authority in Hayekian Settings. Quarterly Journal of Austrian Economics 4.4 (Winter 2001).
- _______. Resurrecting Marx: The analytical Marxists on Freedom, Justice and Exploitation.
- Pongracic, Austrian Economics and the end of Socialism.
- Edmonds, The Corporate Form, Limited Liability, and the State.
Economic Caluculation and Control
Law and Economics
- Mises Institute. Law. Linklist.
Natural Resource Economics
Urban, Rural, and Regional Economics
Critiques and Responses
Something wrong or missing?